Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pig Pork Buns

It seems to be the ultimate goal of any Japanese company to make things as cute as possible. Some companies take the easy way out and just slap a hello kitty on the pink version of their product (I'm looking at you television, microwave and dildo producers!!) while others go to ridiculous lengths to find that just right amount of cuteness that will get people to buy their product.

Of course, food is no exception. There is practically a cottage industry of cute patterns and cookie cutters for bentos. All types of classes and groups for the betterment of bento cuteness and food display. This has even translated over to western food, where my friend La Carmina, who is a million times more popular than me and rightly so, has produced a book about cute foods with a less Japanese flair.

Where is this going? To the convenience store obviously. Wait, that's where I was going when I found this entry into the world of cute food:

This is is Pig Pork Bun. Very meta. It's a pork bun, which, for those who don't already know, is a kind of steamed bread that has a filling of pork and vegetables (although there are other types as well). This one, filled with pork, is decorated as a pig.

Here is a side view so you can get a better idea of it. These are actually mini-buns so they aren't incredibly big. They run for about 80 yen if I am remembering correctly. You can buy them at Sankus convenience stores and I'd guess Circle K as they are the same company.

However, those who know me know that I am not a cute food enthusiast but a horror enthusiast. I am not excited by cute food in the least so I had to make this a little more grotesque. What better way than eating it?


There we go. Pig pork bun, leaking it's porky innards out for the world to see. There is some cute horror for you.

2 comments:

  1. I like the "pork bun massacre" tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that someone noticed the tags. I've been taking liberties with the tagging.

    ReplyDelete